Thursday, August 28, 2008

Upside-Down Blue Monkey

That's the name of the new socks I just finished knitting this week:




That's Cookie A.'s Monkey worked toe-up with an eye of partridge heel. I did the foot on a half-size smaller needle than the pattern calls for, then switched to a larger needle after the ankle. The yarn is Cherry Tree Hill Supersock, colorway Tropical Storm. I'm pretty pleased with them, and they're a bit lighter than the other socks I've made so I can wear them in slightly warmer weather.

It's been a while since I mentioned my chile plants. Well, those that were eaten by beasts of the forest have recovered quite well. They are all flowering and they all have peppers growing. I had to pick 3 off one of the mystery plants because they have some spectacular blossom-end rot going on:



I've run into this once or twice before while growing peppers and tomatoes. It has something to do with the amount of moisture and calcium the plant is getting. Sad. Hopefully this won't be too big a problem. I'm really hoping to make some home-grown hot sauce this year.

1 comment:

clumsygirl said...

I'm curious... How long does it generally take you to knit a pair of socks? Do you do the crazy two-socks-at-once-thingy?

We have blossom end rot on our tomatoes this year, too. Also, we have not even a tenth as many ripe tomatoes at this time of year as last year. I think out of seven plants, there are 10 individual ripe tomatoes! Last year we were giving away bowls of them to friends. sigh... It's not a good year for gardens in the NW.